Wednesday, February 24, 2010

The Star-Ledger: NY Yankees captain Derek Jeter says contract won't become distraction

Speaking just before he and the Yankees took the field for team's first full-squad workout of spring training, Jeter reiterated his desire to finish his career in pinstripes, and insisted that he will not allow his own status to become a distraction as the team prepares to defend the world championship.

"This is the last time I'm going to talk about it because I think it's unfair to be talking about myself while we're trying to win," said Jeter, whose 10-year, $189 million deal expires at season's end. "That's the approach I've always had. That's not going to change. I know that it's going to maybe cause a lot of speculation, there may be a few stories out there. But it won't be a distraction because I won't be talking about it."

No comments: